As a Practice Partner, Austin Weaver, MBA, serves Advisory Board clients to address their most pressing strategic issues surrounding care variation. Mr. Weaver specializes in the improvement of hospital quality and efficiency, value-based care, payment innovation, policy impacts and the development and utilization of financial and operational data analytics. In his work, he both crafts the strategic and operational roadmaps and works directly with clients to develop the necessary infrastructure to drive change.
Mr. Weaver oversees all consulting and technology aimed towards improving clinical alignment and reducing unwarranted care variation. In his work with more than 200 hospitals across 70 health systems spanning more than 35 states, he has helped drive the documented ROI of over $100M. Additionally, he has advised on the establishment and operations for more than 40 CINs and ACOs, including the development of tailored clinical alignment initiatives such as Hospital Efficiency Improvement Programs and the creation of Population Health Services Organizations.. In many engagements, he works closely with community hospitals and health systems focused especially on the underserved and have the majority of uninsured and Medicaid populations for a region.
Mr. Weaver’s current or past roles have included the following:
- Developed MACRA consulting services and serves as an expert speaker on the law to audiences nationwide, including national conferences, board retreats, and policy discussions in Washington;
- Led the financial management and data analytics for the development of a multistate, multisystem CIN and its charge with managing over 200,000 at-risk lives and bringing three-year returns of more than $225 million off of an infrastructure investment of over $115 million;
- Developed the Value-Based Care Economic Roadmap for a major multi-state for-profit health system to enable the optimal clinical and financial transition between fee-for-service and fee-for-value reimbursement and cover a $20M+ annual infrastructure investment to operate of all population health management initiatives;
- Served as the Senior Financial Author of the State of Rhode Island Healthcare Innovation plan, which was award approximately $20 million to transform health care in the state with targeted set of investments in IT, care model and provider engagement strategies;
- Developed financial reporting infrastructure of the ambulatory care division for a nonprofit, multispecialty, 900+ bed hospital with more than 2,000 physicians and 10,000 employees located in southern California and oversaw the clinical redesign of all academic practices;
- Provided financial due diligence on participation in statewide health care transformation initiatives, including Alabama's Regional Care Organizations, Healthy Rhode Island and OneCare Vermont.
Mr. Weaver earned a Master of Business Administration with a specialization in health care from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, and a Bachelor of Business Administration with concentrations in finance and theology from the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana.