As a vice president, Austin Weaver, MBA, serves Optum clients to address their most pressing strategic issues surrounding value based care. He specializes in navigating the transition to financial risk, improvement of hospital quality and efficiency, bundled payments, financial operations, policy impacts and the development and utilization of financial and operational data analytics. In his work, he helps solve key issues in by both crafting the strategic and operational roadmaps and implementing them directly with clients to develop the necessary infrastructure to drive change.
In his work with hundreds of organizations spanning more than 40 states, he has helped drive millions of dollars in documented ROI. Additionally, he has advised on the establishment and operations for more than 40 CINs and ACOs, including the development of tailored clinical alignment initiatives such as Hospital Efficiency Improvement Programs, the creation of Population Health Services Organizations, and optimizing post-acute care networks. Furthermore, Austin was one of the developers of Advisory Board’s provider-based value based care consulting services and serves as an expert speaker on topics, including MACRA, to audiences nationwide, including national conferences, board retreats, and policy discussions on the hill in Washington. His work has impacted state wide healthcare transformations and large health system journeys to their best approach to value based care.
Mr. Weaver’s current or past roles have included the following:
- Led the financial management and data analytics for the development of a multistate, multisystem CIN and its charge with managing over 200,000 at-risk lives and bringing three-year returns of more than $225 million off of an infrastructure investment of over $115 million;
- Developed the Value-Based Care Economic Roadmap for a major multi-state for-profit health system to enable the optimal clinical and financial transition between fee-for-service and fee-for-value reimbursement, and cover a $20 million annual infrastructure investment to operate of all population health management initiatives;
- Oversaw the delivery of Advisory Board’s suite of performance technologies impacting care variation, including those related to inpatient quality, population health, and surgical efficiency
- Served as the Senior Financial Author of the State of Rhode Island Healthcare Innovation plan, which was awarded approximately $20 million to transform health care in the state with targeted set of investments in IT, care model and provider engagement strategies;
- Developed financial reporting infrastructure of the ambulatory care division for a nonprofit, multispecialty, 900+ bed hospital with more than 2,000 physicians and 10,000 employees located in southern California and oversaw the clinical redesign of all academic practices;
- Provided financial due diligence on participation in statewide health care transformation initiatives, including Alabama's Regional Care Organizations, Healthy Rhode Island and OneCare Vermont.
Mr. Weaver earned a Master of Business Administration with a specialization in health care and honors from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, and a Bachelor of Business Administration with honors in finance and theology from the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana.