Diversity, equity, and inclusion is increasingly a priority for provider organizations nationwide. Many hospitals and health systems already have initiatives underway, but these efforts are often short-term pilots implemented ad hoc. To make real headway, senior leaders must designate diversity, equity, and inclusion as part of both the organization’s mission and strategy, with dedicated leaders, staff, resources, and metrics to advance the vision. This complex journey requires a comprehensive and multi-tiered approach that covers three key areas: your workforce, your patients, and your community.
Organizations with a diverse workforce (across race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, gender identity, culture, language, ability, and more) and an inclusive culture are stronger businesses. Research indicates that these organizations are more profitable, better performers, make better decisions, and have greater team collaboration. When frontline staff represent the community they serve, patients experience better outcomes. Further, diverse leadership perspectives can help organizations become market leaders with innovative strategies to advance equity. But most organizations have a long way to go.
How Advisory Board can help
In order to move the dial on workforce diversity and inclusion, first identify where your organization sits on the D&I maturity model with our tool How to Embed Diversity and Inclusion in Your Workforce Strategy. Set clear goals to guide progress. If you haven’t already, dedicate resources to building diverse pipelines for frontline staff and leaders:
- Blog post: 10 takeaways: How to build a racially diverse workforce
- Toolkit: Succession Management Implementation Guide
- Case studies: Building diverse leadership pipelines - Coming soon
- Cheat sheet: Implicit bias
- Cheat sheet: Power and privilege - Coming soon
Hiring a diverse workforce is only the first step. Cultivate an inclusive culture that improves retention with tactics like employee resources groups and in-depth, regular D&I training:
- Research report: How Employee Resource Groups Drive Diversity, Inclusion, and Business Outcomes
- Cheat sheet: Inclusion
- Cheat sheet: Inclusive language
- Resource guide: Diversity, equity, and inclusion conversation starters
- Daily Briefing story: "Racism and health care: Your reading list"