Fortune last week released its annual list of the "Best Workplaces in Health Care and Biopharma," with Texas Health Resources and AbbVie topping the health care and biopharma lists, respectively.
Fortune and Great Place to Work partnered to develop the annual rankings. The "Best Workplaces in Health Care and Biopharma" lists are based on survey responses from more than 730,000 U.S. employees.
To be eligible for the lists, organizations had to have at least 10 employees and be a Great Place to Work-Certified organization, which required companies to survey their employees using the Great Place to Work's flagship assessment and the Trust Index.
The health care and biopharma lists follow Fortune's annual 100 "Best Companies to Work For" list—released earlier this year—which ranks companies across all industry sectors.
The best places to work in health care, biopharma, according to Fortune
This year's "Best Workplaces in Health Care and Biopharma" list features 45 companies, 35 in health care and 10 in biopharma. Twenty-two of the featured companies are Advisory Board members.
The 35 best places to work in health care, according to the list, are:
- Texas Health Resources* (Arlington, Texas);
- Encompass Health* (Dallas);
- Livongo Health (Mountain View, California);
- Caring Nurses (Las Vegas);
- Aledade (Bethesda, Maryland);
- Southern Ohio Medical Center* (Portsmouth, Ohio);
- BayCare Health System* (Clearwater, Florida);
- Baptist Health South Florida* (Coral Gables, Florida);
- Jackson Healthcare* (Alpharetta, Georgia);
- Cottage Health* (Santa Barbara, California);
- Forward (San Francisco);
- St. Jude Children's Research Hopsital* (Memphis);
- myNexus (Brentwood, Tennessee);
- Medical Solutions Supplier (Glen Mills, Pennsylvania);
- Texas Rehabilitation Hospital of Fort Worth (Fort Worth, Texas);
- Vargo Physical Therapy (Westlake Village, California);
- Atlantic Health System* (Morristown, New Jersey);
- Licking Memorial Health Systems (Newark, Ohio);
- Children's Healthcare of Atlanta* (Atlanta);
- Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare* (Memphis);
- InformedDNA (St. Petersburg, Florida);
- Martin's Point Health Care* (Portland, Maine);
- Anova Healthcare System (McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania);
- Kettering Health Network* (Miamisburg, Ohio);
- Orlando Health* (Orlando);
- Advanced Correctional Healthcare (Peoria, Illinois);
- Ignite Medical Resorts (Niles, Illinois);
- WellStar Health System* (Marietta, Georgia);
- Constellation Health Services (Norwalk, Connecticut);
- Ballantyne Center for Dentistry (Charlotte, North Carolina);
- Baylor Scott & White Health* (Dallas);
- Nicklaus Children's Health System* (Miami);
- Title21 Health Solutions (Pleasanton, California);
- Service Corporation International (Houston); and
- OhioHealth* (Columbus).
* Denotes Advisory Board member
The top 10 best places to work in biopharma, according to the list, are:
1. AbbVie* (North Chicago, Illinois);
2. United Therapeutics Corp. (Silver Spring, Maryland);
3. Horizon Pharma plc* (Lake Forest, Illinois);
4. Regeneron Pharmaceuticals* (Tarrytown, New York);
5. Genentech (South San Francisco, California);
6. Novo Nordisk* (Plainsboro, New Jersey);
7. Tec Laboratories (Albany Oregon);
8. Takeda Pharmaceuticals (Deerfield, Illinois);
9. Merck (Kenilworth, New Jersey); and
10. Second Genome (South San Francisco, California).
* Denotes Advisory Board member
Ed Frauenheim, senior director of content at Great Place to Work, writes in Fortune that while health care organizations are struggling to find and retain talent in the current market, many of the industry's top places to work are attracting and retaining workers by doubling down on the health care industry's "promise to heal people with services and medicines [that] provides many opportunities to make the world better" (Gooch, Becker's Hospital Review, 4/9; Great Place to Work health care and biopharma list, 4/9; Fortune, 4/9; Frauenheim, Fortune, 4/9; Great Place to Work health care and biopharma list methodology, accessed 4/9).
Just updated: Get 1-page cheat sheets on how "best places to work" organizations are chosen
Is your organization recognized as a "best place to work?" If not, you could be missing an important tool to recruit new employees—and a big opportunity to spotlight your employee engagement work with current staff. Download our cheat sheets to learn exactly how influential publications decide who makes the cut (and who doesn't):
- Fortune's "Best Workplaces in Health Care and Biopharma"
- Glassdoor's "Best Places to Work: Employees' Choice"
- Forbes' List of "America's Best Employers"
- Modern Healthcare's "Best Places to Work in Healthcare"