The 9 best hospitals and health systems to work for, according to Fortune

Fortune has named nine hospitals and health systems to its 2019 list of the "Best Companies to Work For," and eight are Advisory Board members.

Cheat sheets: How Fortune—and 3 other major publications—choose their 'best places to work'

Methodology

Since 1998, Fortune and Great Places to Work have partnered to develop the annual rankings.

In 2018, researchers made significant revisions in the list's methodology to account for changes in the way "we do business—and work."

Previously, the rankings focused on trust, pride, and camaraderie. But after the change last year, the rankings are based on six metrics: whether workers are "reaching their full human potential," trust, values, innovation, financial growth, and leadership effectiveness. The first two factors account for 85% of the grade, while the other four make up the remaining 15%.

The best companies

For this year's list, Hilton was named as the No. 1 overall company to work for.

Texas Health Resources, an Advisory Board member, was the highest-ranked hospital/health system at No. 9, up from last year's ranking of No. 15.

Other hospitals and health systems that ranked among the 100 companies are:

35. Southern Ohio Medical Center;

37. *BayCare Health System;

40. *Baptist Health South Florida;

58. *St. Jude Children's Research Hospital;

79. *Children's Healthcare of Atlanta;

87. *Atlantic Health System;

88. *Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare; and

99. *OhioHealth.

* denotes Advisory Board member

Other Advisory Board members that made the list include:

11. Stryker;

21. Plante Moran;

54. Encompass Health Home Health & Hospice;

63. AbbVie;

67. CHG Healthcare; and

90. Novo Nordisk (Fortune/Great Places to Work, "100 Best Companies to Work For," accessed 2/15; Fortune/Great Places to Work, "Methodology," 2/15).

Want to become a "Best Company to Work For"?

Since 1998, Fortune and Great Places to Work have partnered to develop the annual rankings. Previously, the rankings focused on trust, pride, and camaraderie. But after the change last year, the rankings are based on six metrics: whether workers are "reaching their full human potential," trust, values, innovation, financial growth, and leadership effectiveness.

See below for the Advisory Board's latest research on three of these six core metrics.

Then, download our cheat sheets for a summary on the methodology and metrics used to calculate Fortune—and 3 other major publications—'Best Places to Work'.

Access the Cheat Sheets


Next in the Daily Briefing

'The first time I saw a teenager die': What it's like to treat gunshot patients in America

Read now