Forbes has released its list of the 300 "Best Employers for Women"—with 25 hospitals and health systems making the list.
For the list, Forbes partnered with research firm Statista, which surveyed more than 40,000 employees, including 25,000 women, at companies with at least 1,000 employees throughout the United States.
Respondents were asked to rate their companies on criteria such as:
- How likely they were to recommend their employer to others; and
- Working conditions.
Researchers reviewed responses for potential gender gaps, taking into account, for example, whether women rated an organization poorly for diversity while men rated it highly.
Female respondents were also asked to rate their employers on factors such as:
- Parental leave; and
- Pay equity.
The respondents were then asked to nominate organizations outside the industries they worked in. Forbes' final list includes the 300 employers that both received the most recommendations and have the most gender-diverse boards and executives.
Hospitals, health systems on the list
The 25 hospitals and health systems included on the list are:
2. Penn Medicine* (Philadelphia);
4. BayCare* (Clearwater, Florida);
5. Oregon Health & Science University* (Portland, Oregon);
7. Boston Children's Hospital (Boston);
8. Providence Health & Services* (Renton, Washington);
11. Texas Children's Hospital (Houston);
18. Cincinnati Children's* (Cincinnati);
20. Parkview Health* (Fort Wayne, Indiana);
25. Sharp HealthCare* (San Diego);
29. The Christ Hospital Health Network* (Cincinnati);
32. Eskenazi Health* (Indianapolis);
33. Summit Health* (Chambersburg, Pennsylvania);
44. Covenant Health* (Knoxville, Tennessee);
48. Tampa General Hospital* (Tampa, Florida);
53. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital* (Memphis, Tennessee);
55. Carolinas HealthCare System* (Charlotte, North Carolina);
67. Norton Healthcare* (Louisville, Kentucky);
72. Mayo Clinic* (Rochester, Minnesota);
77. Eastern Maine Medical Center* (Brewer, Maine);
84. Memorial Healthcare System* (Hollywood, Florida);
86. Lee Memorial Health System* (Myers/Cape Coral, Florida);
97. Legacy Health* (Portland, Oregon);
98. University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics* (Iowa City, Iowa);
108. Kaiser Permanente* (Oakland, California); and
110. Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare* (Memphis, Tennessee).
* Denotes an Advisory Board member
Other health care honorees
Among other health care honorees, 33 Advisory Board members were named to the Forbes list:
27. Stryker (Kalamazoo, Michigan);
35. AbbVie (North Chicago, Illinois);
38. Biogen (Cambridge, Massachusetts);
45. Cambia Health Solutions (Portland, Oregon);
51. Leidos (Reston, Virginia);
60. Moss Adams (Seattle);
61. Wolters Kluwer (Alphen aan den Rijn, Netherlands);
80. 3M (St. Paul, Minnesota);
85. Hologic (Marlborough, Massachusetts);
102. Cox Enterprises (Atlanta);
105. Johnson & Johnson (New Brunswick, New Jersey);
127. Roche Holding (Basel, Switzerland);
138. AstraZeneca (Cambridge);
142. MITRE Corporation (Bedford, Massachusetts);
156. Novo Nordisk (Bagsværd, Denmark);
170. Epic (Verona, Wisconsin);
174. Anthem (Indianapolis);
184. Smith & Nephew (London);
185. McKesson (San Francisco);
190. Siemens (Munich, Germany);
192. JPMorgan Chase (New York);
198. HDR (Omaha, Nebraska);
212. Microsoft (Redmond, Washington);
228. Becton Dickinson (Franklin Lakes, New Jersey);
236. Cardinal Health (Dublin, Ohio);
249. Boston Scientific (Marlborough, Massachusetts);
251. Humana (Louisville, Kentucky);
254. Ecolab (St. Paul, Minnesota);
258. Nestle (Vevey, Switzerland);
262. Pfizer (New York);
265. Verizon Communications (Basking Ridge, New Jersey);
281. AT&T (Dallas); and
287. Aetna (Hartford, Connecticut) ("Best Employers for Women," Forbes, 7/24; Valet, Forbes, 7/24; Paavola, Becker's Hospital Review, 7/24).
Just updated: Get 1-page cheat sheets on how "best places to work" organizations are chosen
Is your organization recognized as a "best place to work?" If not, you could be missing an important tool to recruit new employees—and a big opportunity to spotlight your employee engagement work with current staff. Download our cheat sheets to learn exactly how influential publications decide who makes the cut (and who doesn't):
- Glassdoor's "Best Places to Work: Employees' Choice"
- Forbes' List of "America's Best Employers"
- Fortune's "Best Workplaces in Health Care and Biopharma"
- Modern Healthcare's "Best Places to Work in Healthcare"