Read Advisory Board's take: How to reduce your stress at work
Stress is a normal part of most jobs, and it's not uncommon for work-related pressures and responsibilities to seep into one's home life, Sabina Nawaz, a global CEO coach, writes in Harvard Business Review. Nawaz outlines five ways to prevent stress from work from interfering with life at home.
To explain how work-related stresses and seep into one's home life, Nawaz shares the story of a new CEO in charge of a $1 billion company, whom she calls Firaz.
According to Nawaz, Firaz was feeling "overwhelmed" by his new commitments and position of authority, and he "wasn't feeling successful at home either."
While he maintained his promise to be home for family dinners, he was only there physically. Firaz's "mental attention was captured by a new [work] text pinging every few minutes," Nawaz writes. He often fell asleep when he shouldn't and was awake at odd hours when he should've be asleep.
Firaz's experience, Nawaz writes, is not unique to CEOs. "Stress is a part of most jobs," Nawaz notes, but there are ways to keep it from taking over your personal life. Using Firaz's success in setting boundaries between work and home as an example, Nawaz shares five ways to make sure your work stress doesn't come home with you.
"By proactively managing your stress, you loosen the grip stress has on you and regain control of job and life," Nawaz concludes (Nawaz, Harvard Business Review, 3/26).
Kate Vonderhaar, Practice Manager, HR Advancement Center
It's definitely a worthy aspiration to leave your work stress at work. But it's also worth going a step further to ask: How can you reduce the amount of negative work stress you experience in the first place?
Register now: How to Get More Done (With Less Stress)
We've looked into the question many times in our research and found one deceptively simple strategy: clarifying your priorities. Research shows that many of us spend as much as 40% of our work time on tasks that are either low-value or that others could do. These tasks consume so much of our time that they can leave us rushing—and stressed—when finishing the remaining 60%.
So how can you identify and weed out these unnecessary tasks? You have to be smart about what to prioritize. Your priorities should include work that directly supports a strategic initiative or business need; is top-of-license for your level and skillset; and can be meaningfully advanced in the next month. Aim to focus on three priorities each month.
“Double-check your priorities with your manager—and explicitly discuss what you won't focus on”
Once you've identified your top three priorities for the month, double-check that your manager agrees with them—and explicitly discuss what you won't focus on. Other work still has to get done, of course—but your goal will be to delegate as many of these tasks as possible or defer them (rescheduling to a later date on your calendar), so you can focus on these top three priorities.
Now, of course, identifying the right set of priorities to focus on is arguably the easy part. Defending those priorities against the slew of incoming requests and potential new priorities can be much harder. That's why another key skill for managing work stress is knowing when and how to say "no."
Most of us fall somewhere along a "no" spectrum. At one extreme, some people say no to every "extra" request that comes their way. Eventually, people stop asking for their help and they miss out on opportunities to contribute their expertise and experience. Far more health care leaders fall toward the other extreme: saying "yes" to every request. If this is your default operating mode, people will likely begin over-relying on your help—and you won't have time for your most important priorities. If you can strike the right balance between always saying no and never saying no, people will ask for your help—but they won't know for sure if you'll be able to offer it. They'll know you'll want to help them if you can, but you'll have to weigh the request against your other priorities.
Ultimately, no matter which side of this spectrum you fall on, saying no is a skill like any other—it takes regular practice to improve! And we can help. Join us for out webconference on April 23rd at 1 pm ET to discover our foolproof method for weeding out unnecessary tasks and learn tried-and-true tips for how to clearly state your case for saying no and prepare for pushback.
Create your free account to access 2 resources each month, including the latest research and webinars.
You have 2 free members-only resources remaining this month remaining this month.
Never miss out on the latest innovative health care content tailored to you.