* Editors note: This story has been updated.
Indeed has released its 2018 "Top-Rated Workplaces" for hospitals and other health care employers, recognizing 25 "Best Hospitals" and 15 "Best in Healthcare."
For this year's Top-Rated Workplaces lists, Indeed analyzed over 72 million ratings and reviews from current and previous employees to assess which workplaces provided the best employee experiences. To be included in the lists, health care companies needed to have at least 100 reviews submitted between January 2016 and January 2018.
2018 'Top-Rated Workplaces: Best Hospitals'
This years' "Top-Rated Workplaces: Best Hospitals" list features 25 hospitals, 23 of which are Advisory Board members. The 25 best hospitals to work for, according to Indeed, are:
- Massachusetts General Hospital* (Boston);
- Texas Children's Hospital (Houston);
- Houston Methodist* (Houston);
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital* (New York);
- Children's Healthcare of Atlanta* (Atlanta);
- Cedars-Sinai* (Los Angeles);
- Memorial Sloan Kettering* (New York);
- UCLA Health* (Los Angeles);
- Montefiore Medical Center* (New York);
- Brigham and Women's Hospital* (Boston);
- Ochsner Health System* (New Orleans);
- Florida Hospital* (Orlando, Florida);
- Boston Children's Health (Boston);
- Baptist Health South Florida* (Coral Gables, Florida);
- University of Florida Health* (Gainesville, Florida);
- Northwell Health* (Lake Success, New York);
- Mayo Clinic* (Rochester, Minnesota);
- Texas Health Resources* (Arlington, Texas);
- Gwinnett Medical Center* (Lawrenceville, Georgia);
- UMass Memorial Medical Center* (Lowell, Massachusetts);
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center* (Boston);
- Yale New Haven Health* (New Haven, Connecticut);
- Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center* (Columbus, Ohio);
- Tampa General Hospital* (Tampa, Florida); and
- Michigan Medicine* (Ann Arbor, Michigan).
* Denotes hospitals that are Advisory Board members
2018 'Top-Rated Workplaces: Best in Healthcare'
This years' "Top-Rated Workplaces: Best in Healthcare" features 15 health companies, 12 of which are Advisory Board members. The 15 best in health care companies, according to Indeed, are:
- Kaiser Permanente* (Oakland, California);
- Johnson & Johnson* (New Brunswick, New Jersey);
- Pfizer* (New York);
- Amgen (Thousand Oaks, California);
- Stryker* (Kalamazoo, Michigan);
- Mayo Clinic* (Rochester, Minnesota);
- Novartis* (East Hanover, New Jersey);
- Roche* (Indianapolis);
- Medtronic* (Dublin, Ireland);
- Abbott Laboratories* (Abbott Park, Illinois);
- Merck (Kenilworth, New Jersey);
- Bayer* (Whippany, New Jersey);
- Allergan (Dublin, Ireland);
- GE Healthcare* (Little Chalfont, England); and
- Novo Nordisk* (Bagsvaerd, Denmark).
* Denotes employers that are Advisory Board members
According to Indeed, while there is a high demand for health care in the United States, there is a shortage of health care professionals due to aging nursing staff and an increasing demand for end-of-life care for the baby boomer generation.
The hospitals and health care systems on their respective "Top-Rated Workplaces" lists are addressing the shortage of health care professionals by offering employees "room for professional growth, supportive management and positive attitudes among coworkers," according to Indeed ("Top-Rated Workplaces: Best Hospitals," Indeed Blog, 7/31; Top-Rated Workplaces: Best Hospitals list, 7/31; "Top-Rated Workplaces: Best in Healthcare," Indeed Blog, 3/27; "Top-Rated Workplaces: Best in Healthcare list, 3/27; "Top-Rated Workplaces in 2018," Indeed Blog, 7/12).
Just updated: Get 1-page cheat sheets on how "best places to work" organizations are chosen
Is your organization recognized as a "best place to work?" If not, you could be missing an important tool to recruit new employees—and a big opportunity to spotlight your employee engagement work with current staff. Download our cheat sheets to learn exactly how influential publications decide who makes the cut (and who doesn't):
- Glassdoor's "Best Places to Work: Employees' Choice"
- Forbes' List of "America's Best Employers"
- Fortune's "Best Workplaces in Health Care and Biopharma"
- Modern Healthcare's "Best Places to Work in Healthcare"