Not a member of the Nursing Executive Center? Download a study excerpt here so you can find out how Mosiac Life Care is building the workforce of the future.
When it comes to workforce planning, most nurse leaders start from the “inside”—defining inpatient care models first—and work their way “out” by refining cross-continuum and outpatient models to complement inpatient staffing. But this approach often means patients receive care in higher-acuity settings, and uses more staff and resources than necessary.
How to build your future workforce from the “outside-in”
To thrive under future payment models that demand lower-cost yet accessible care, you need to take the “outside-in” approach to staffing. This means first defining outpatient care delivery models, and only then refining what your inpatient care models look like.
To do this, nurse leaders must ask themselves how they can staff to:
- Improve access to the most appropriate care setting
- Improve efficiency without compromising quality
- Provide more complex services in a lower-acuity setting
- Prevent redundancies and gaps in care
- Address non-clinical needs impacting health