A gunman fired 33 times into a subway car in Brooklyn, New York, Tuesday morning, leaving at least 29 victims to be treated at three health systems, at least seven of whom are still hospitalized as of Wednesday morning.
According to New York City Police Commissioner Keechant Sewell, around 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, a gunman whom Sewell described as a Black male with a heavy build, wearing a green construction vest and a gray sweatshirt, set off two smoke grenades before opening fire on a Manhattan-bound N train in the Sunset Park neighborhood of Brooklyn.
Authorities said the gunman fired 33 times with a Glock 17 9mm semi-handgun, which was found in the subway alongside two non-detonated smoke grenades, a hatchet, gasoline, fireworks, and a key to a U-Haul van. Authorities said they believe the gun jammed, which prevented the gunman from continuing to fire.
The attack left at least 29 people injured, including 10 who had been shot. However, according to New York City Fire Department First Deputy Commissioner Laura Kavanagh, none of the injuries were life-threatening.
The key to the U-Haul truck found in the subway led police to Frank James, who rented the truck in Philadelphia. New York Police Department spokesperson Lt. Thomas Antonetti said authorities are searching for James, who police believe is responsible for the attack.
As of Wednesday morning, authorities had not established a motive.
Multiple health systems treat the victims
Of the victims, 21 were taken to NYU Langone Hospital following the attack, 16 of whom have since been released, ABC7 reports. The remaining patients were treated for different injuries, including smoke inhalation and gunshot wounds, and all are in stable condition, according to NYU Langone spokesperson Lacy Scarmana.
In addition, five victims were students commuting to school, and were treated at Maimonides Medical Center, the only pediatric trauma hospital in the area, CNN reports. Three of them were treated for smoke inhalation and had been released while the other two were treated for non-life-threatening gunshot wounds.
According to ABC7, the hospital was well prepared to handle the pediatric trauma cases. "We were prepared to care for 10, 20, 30 patients if we needed to. Fortunately, we only had five -- three were in very good shape and were able to be discharged," said Maimonides Medical Center Chair of the Department John Marshall.
Three additional victims were also treated at New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital, all of whom are in stable condition.
At least seven victims of the attack are still hospitalized as of Wednesday morning, five of whom are listed as being in critical condition, ABC7 reports
New York Gov. Kathy Hochul (D) said that New York residents' "sense of tranquility and normalness was disrupted by an individual so cold-hearted and depraved of heart that they had no caring about the individuals that they assaulted."
Meanwhile, New York City Mayor Eric Adams, who is quarantining after testing positive for Covid-19, said in a video, "We will not allow New Yorkers to be terrorized, even by a single individual."
President Joe Biden said he and First Lady Jill Biden were "praying for all those touched by this trauma" and praised first responders.
"We're grateful for all the first responders who jumped into action, including civilians who didn't hesitate to help their fellow passengers and try to shield them," he said. (ABC7, 4/13; Miller et al., USA Today, 4/13; Wolfe et al., CNN, 4/13; Pilkington et al., The Guardian, 4/12)
Create your free account to access 2 resources each month, including the latest research and webinars.
You have 2 free members-only resources remaining this month remaining this month.
Never miss out on the latest innovative health care content tailored to you.