Glassdoor recently released its annual Employees' Choice Awards for the best workplaces in 2021, and the lists include 21 health care and health care-adjacent organizations.
About the awards
Glassdoor's 100 Best Places to Work list includes employers with at least 1,000 employees, while its 50 Best Small & Medium Companies to Work For list consists of companies with fewer than 1,000 employees.
Glassdoor enables current and former employees to review their current and past employers anonymously on a five-point scale. If a company receives a rating higher than four, it means the employee is or was "very satisfied" with the workplace.
To compile this year's best workplaces lists, Glassdoor looked at reviews that U.S.-based employees submitted between Oct. 22, 2019, and Oct. 19, 2020. To be considered for the lists, large employers had to receive at least 75 ratings during that timeframe, while small and medium employers had to receive at least 30 ratings during that time, on each of Glassdoor's eight workplace attributes:
- Overall company rating;
- Career opportunities;
- Compensation and benefits;
- Culture and values;
- Senior management;
- Work-life balance;
- Whether a reviewer would recommend the company to a friend; and
- Business outlook.
Health care industry honorees
Six health systems, four of which are Advisory Board members, made Glassdoor's 100 Best Places to Work list for 2021:
- Emanate Health* (Covina, California), No. 19;
- NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital (New York), No. 42;
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital* (Memphis), No. 47;
- Northwell Health (New Hyde Park, New York), No. 65;
- Massachusetts General Hospital* (Boston), No. 74; and
- MD Anderson Cancer Center* (Houston), No. 90.
*denotes Advisory Board member
Additional Advisory Board members—including health care providers, industry companies, and health care-related organizations—that made this year's 100 Best Places to Work list include:
- Stryker (Kalamazoo, Michigan), No. 14;
- Johnson & Johnson (New Brunswick, New Jersey), No. 24;
- Pfizer (New York), No. 39;
- Merck (Kenilworth, New Jersey), No. 61;
- CHG Healthcare (Salt Lake City), No. 69;
- Health Catalyst (South Jordan, Utah), No. 75;
- Bristol Myers Squibb (New York), No. 78;
- Eli Lilly & Co. (Indianapolis), No. 87; and
- Novartis (Cambridge, Massachusetts), No. 98.
Other health care and health care-adjacent companies that made this year's 100 Best Places to Work list but are not Advisory Board members include:
- Google (No. 6);
- Microsoft (No. 9);
- Apple (No. 31);
- CoverMyMeds (No. 40);
- Intuitive Surgical (No. 41); and
- Trilogy Health Services (No. 99).
Glassdoor also included Vynamic (No. 15), pMD (No. 28), Host Healthcare (No. 36), Physical Rehabilitation Network (No. 43), Bluetree Network (No. 47), and Royal Ambulance (No. 50), on its Best Small & Medium Companies to Work For list for 2021 (Glassdoor release, 1/12; Best Places to Work 2021, accessed 2/19; Best Small & Medium Companies, accessed 2/19; Glassdoor methodology, accessed 2/19).