Harvard Business Review last week released its annual ranking of the 100 "Best-Performing CEOs in the World"—and the list included 11 CEOs in the health care industry.
Tool: Diagnose and pinpoint leaders' strengths and development needs
To create the ranking, HBR took into account financial returns over the CEOs' tenure as well as the company's rating on social, governance, and environmental issues. Since HBR uses numbers that span the CEOs' careers, the list changes minimally year-to-year, according to HBR. Seventy of the 100 CEOs on this year's list also made last year's list.
According to HBR, the "limited annual churn" demonstrates "the challenge of sustaining world-beating performance."
Eleven health care CEOs made the list this year, of whom eight ranked in HBR's best-performing list last year, including:
9. *Hisashi Ietsugu, Sysmex (Japan);
15. *Michael Mussallem, Edwards Life Sciences (United States);
24. *Lars Rasmussen, Coloplast, (Denmark);
42. *Mark Bertolini, Aetna (United States);
43. *Michael Mahoney, Boston Scientific (United States);
53. *Leonard Schleifer, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals (United States);
53. Richard Gonzalez, Abbvie (United States);
61. Bruce Broussard, Humana (United States);
71. *David Cordani, Cigna (United States);
84. *Timothy Ring, C.R. Bard (United States); and
85. Marc Casper, Thermo Fisher Scientific (United States).
The list also features CEOs who lead companies that sometimes work in, or adjacent to, the health care industry, including:
31. Mike Lawrie, DXC Technology (United States);
40. *Pierre Nanterme, Accenture (United States);
46. Satya Nadella, Microsoft (United States);
68. *Jeffrey Bezos, Amazon (United States); and
76. Nancy McKinstry, Wolters Kluwer (Netherlands).
*CEOs who also ranked on the 2017 list (Harvard Business Review, November-December 2018; Harvard Business Review, November-December 2017)
Uncertainty abounds—and health systems need to face it head on. Download our new briefing to learn 12 key insights for senior executives working to drive hospital and health system success in 2018 and beyond.
Create your free account to access 2 resources each month, including the latest research and webinars.
You have 2 free members-only resources remaining this month remaining this month.
Never miss out on the latest innovative health care content tailored to you.