For their pioneering work on human DNA, Francis Crick, James Watson, Maurice Wilkins, and Rosalind Franklin share the No. 1 spot on Medscape's "Most Influential Physicians in the Past Century."
10 insights on reducing care variation from leading health systems
For the rankings, a panel of Medscape editors and advisors assessed physicians whose work in the last century significantly affected the medical industry. The panel also considered factors such as "ethnic and gender centricity," alternative areas of medicine, and people who might have been "excluded from traditional historical discourse."
Ultimately, the panel "endeavored to identify the 25 giants of medicine from the last century who we feel stand apart due to the extent of their achievements whose contributions have had a major impact on the development of medical practice."
Medscape's 25 'most influential' physicians from the last 100 years
The top-five ranking individuals considered most influential by Medscape include, in order of rank:
Other physicians recognized by Medscape include, in order of rank:
6. Barry Marshall (1951-) and J. Robin Warren (1937-);
7. Basil Hirschowitz (1925-2013);
8. Brian Druker (1955-);
9. Charles Kelman (1930-2004);
10. Cicely Williams (1893-1992);
11. Dame Cicely Saunders (1918-2005);
12. George Papanicolaou (1883-1962);
13. David Sackett (1934-2015);
14. E. Donnall Thomas (1920-2012) and Joseph Murray (1919-2012);
15. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross (1926-2004);
16. Mahmut Gaz Yaşargil (1925-);
17. Joseph Kirsner (1909-2012);
18. Eric Topol (1954-);
19. Lawrence Einhorn (1942-);
20. Stanley Dudrick (1935-);
21. Stanley Prusiner (1942-);
22. Victor McKusick (1921-2008);
23. Virginia Apgar (1909-1974);
24. Zora Janzekovic (1918-2015); and
25. Helen Brooke Taussig (1898-1986)(Rourke, Medscape, 9/25).
For most organizations, care variation reduction is a mission-critical strategy to reduce costs while enhancing quality.
At this year's national meeting, we'll focus on designing and deploying care variation reduction standards at speed and scale, leveraging the EMR to reduce care variation, and how to navigate your health system's strategy in the post-ACA era.
Create your free account to access 2 resources each month, including the latest research and webinars.
You have 2 free members-only resources remaining this month remaining this month.
Never miss out on the latest innovative health care content tailored to you.