Glassdoor on Wednesday released its annual Employees' Choice Awards for the best workplaces in 2020, and 21 health care and health care-adjacent organizations were recognized.
Get a 1-page cheat sheet on how Glassdoor calculates their list
About the rankings
Glassdoor's rankings of the 100 Best Places to Work covers employers with at least 1,000 employees.
The company separately released a list of the 50 Best Small & Medium Companies to Work For, which consists of companies with fewer than 1,000 employees.
Glassdoor enables current and former employees to review their company anonymously on a five-point scale. A score of five means the employee is "very satisfied." Over one million employers have been reviewed on Glassdoor. The average rating is 3.5, according to Glassdoor.
For the latest rankings, Glassdoor looked at reviews U.S.-based employees submitted between Oct. 23, 2018, and Oct. 21, 2019. To be considered for the lists, large employers had to have received at least 75 ratings, while small and medium employers had to have received at least 30 ratings, on each of Glassdoor's eight workplace attributes:
- Overall company rating;
- Career opportunities;
- Compensation & benefits;
- Culture and values;
- Senior management;
- Work-life balance;
- Whether a reviewer would recommend the company to a friend; and
- Business outlook.
Health care industry honorees
Seven health systems, all of which are Advisory Board members, made the Best Places to Work List:
- MD Anderson Cancer Center (Houston), No. 19;
- Mayo Clinic (Rochester, Minnesota), No. 28;
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (Memphis), No. 62;
- Massachusetts General Hospital (Boston), No. 72;
- Smile Brands (Irvine, California), No. 86;
- NYU Langone Health (New York), No. 91; and
- Northside Hospital (Atlanta), No. 99.
Other Advisory Board members—including health care providers, industry companies, and health care-related organizations—that made the Best Places to Work list include:
- Intuitive Surgical (Sunnyvale, California), No. 7;
- Microsoft (Redmond, Washington), No. 21;
- VMware (Palo Alto, California), No. 36;
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (New York), No. 38;
- CHG Healthcare (Midvale, Utah), No. 47;
- Johnson & Johnson (New Brunswick, New Jersey), No. 71;
- Stryker (Kalamazoo, Michigan), No. 87; and
- Epic (Verona, Wisconsin), No. 96.
Other health care and health care-adjacent companies that made the Best Places to Work list include, Google (No. 11), CoverMyMeds (No. 15), Trilogy Health Services (No. 82), and Apple (No. 84).
Glassdoor also included Health Catalyst (No. 48), an Advisory Board member, and Aledade (No. 49) on its Best Small & Medium Companies to Work For list (Glassdoor release, 12/11; Best Places to Work 2020, accessed 12/12; Best Small & Medium Companies, accessed 12/12; Haefner, Becker's Hospital Review, 12/11).