Starting 2019, hospitals and clinicians are required to use 2015 Edition certified EHR technology (CEHRT) under the following Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) programs:
- Hospital Promoting Interoperability (PI) Program, previously named the EHR
Incentive Programs (also known as Meaningful Use [MU]).
- MIPS PI performance category, previously named Advancing Care Information
(ACI), for clinicians who participate in the Merit-based Incentive Payment System
(MIPS) established under the CMS Quality Payment Program (QPP).
Providers must satisfy PI reporting requirements in order to demonstrate “meaningful use” of EHRs. PI objectives and measures focus on information exchange between providers and electronic access to health information for patients.
In our conversations with providers across the country, by far, most of their effort is going to just a few challenging PI measures:
- Provide Patients Electronic Access to Their Health Information.
- Support Electronic Referral Loops by Receiving and Incorporating Health
We've compiled best practices into a practical guide for success on these measures. This resource addresses key compliance requirements and tips to boost performance.
Read on for our guidance on how to:
- Get your API "app ready"
- Educate patients and train staff on the API
- Identify applicable summary of care records, based on care setting
- Break down clinical information reconciliation
Payer and Regulatory Policy
Standards and Regulatory Policy
Electronic Medical Records Strategy
Health Information Exchange
Next, Check Out
Promoting Interoperability Program Update