The man was infected with vibrio vulnificus, a bacteria that can cause the flesh-eating phenomenon called necrotizing fasciitis, and his immune system was weakened from cancer, his daughter said, in today's bite-sized hospital and health industry news from Florida, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.
- Florida/Tennessee: A Tennessee man died this week after becoming infected with vibrio vulnificus, a bacteria that can cause the flesh-eating phenomenon called necrotizing fasciitis, after spending time in water off of Destin in Florida. About 12 hours after swimming in the water, the man "woke up with a fever, chills, and some cramping," according to Cheryl Bennett Wiygul, the man's daughter. When he got to a hospital in Memphis, "they saw this terribly swollen black spot on his back." The man's condition worsened and he died Sunday afternoon. Wiygul said her father had suffered a weakened immune system from cancer (Hardiman, Memphis Commercial Appeal/USA Today, 7/15).
- Michigan: The Department of Agriculture has awarded 25 heath care facilities in Michigan a total of $500,000 to expand their telemedicine services for opioid misuse. The funds will help facilities across 18 counties install video equipment for telemedicine. Alpena Community College, one of the recipients of the funds, said it will use the grant to enhance its video and audio technology (Drees, Becker's Hospital Review, 7/12).
- Pennsylvania: UPMC Pinnacle Lititz on July 1 removed Pinnacle from its name. UPMC spokesperson Kelly McCall said similar name changes were in effect at other former UPMC Pinnacle hospitals, including UPMC Carlisle and UPMC Hanover. McCall said there would be "no changes to hospital management, and all hospitals continue to be part of UPMC Pinnacle." UPMC Lititz has developed plans to change its marketing to reflect the name change (Haefner, Becker's Hospital Review, 7/12).