- Verma: Value-based care is a key priority for CMS this year. Noting that only 14% of Medicare providers currently participate in value-based arrangements, CMS Administrator Seema Verma this week said the agency will focus on encouraging more providers to enter value-based payment models, among other 2019 goals. To support those efforts, Verma said CMS is considering launching new value-based payment models focused on different diseases—including end-stage renal disease and cancer—and will create templates that states can use to establish similar payment models.
- Mississippi Hospital Association, Caravan Health launch statewide ACO. The Mississippi Hospital Association and Caravan Health are launching Myriad Health Alliance, the first statewide ACO, to deliver coordinated care to Medicare patients in Mississippi. Paul Gardner, MHA's director of rural health, will serve as executive director for the new ACO.
- Uninsured rate reaches highest levels since ACA coverage expansions took effect, poll finds. The share of U.S. adults without health insurance rose by 1.5 percentage points in 2018, reaching the highest level since the Affordable Care Act's (ACA) coverage expansions took effect in 2014, according to a recent Gallup National Health and Well-Being Index poll. Specifically, the poll found the uninsured rate among U.S. adults rose from 12.2% in the fourth quarter (Q4) of 2017 to 13.7% in Q4 of 2018. The poll attributed the recent rise in uninsured U.S. adults to a number of factors, including higher exchange plan premiums; funding cuts for so-called "navigator" organizations, which help U.S. residents enroll in exchange plans; insurers withdrawing from the exchange market; and the ACA's shorter open enrollment period.
From Advisory Board:
- MACRA 101. Join us for 30 minutes today, January 31, at 3:00 p.m. ET where we'll break down MACRA's origins and provide an introduction to the two Quality Payment Program (QPP) tracks: the Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) and the Advanced Alternative Payment Model (APM).
- The care transformation state of the union. Join us today, January 31, at 3:00 p.m. ET to explore these disruptors and how population health leaders must evolve their strategy.
- Examine Medicare's Hospital Inpatient Pay-for-Performance update, FY 2019. Join us on Wednesday, February 27, at 3:00 p.m. ET to learn about important updates to CMS' three inpatient pay-for-performance programs, which place up to 6% of a given hospital's inpatient payments at risk in FY 2019.