- NAACOs survey spotlights concerns with proposed MSSP revamp. According to a new survey of ACOs from the National Association of ACOs, about 60% of respondents would not have participated in the Medicare Shared Savings Program if it was established in the way CMS has proposed the program be revamped. Overall, respondents said some of their biggest concerns with CMS' proposed rule included the amount of shared savings ACOs receive at the start, as well as the reduced timeframe before participating ACOs face financial risk.
- UnitedHealth Group says it spends $69B in value-based care. UnitedHealth Group (UHG) in an earnings call this week said it is paying $69 billion—nearly half of its annual reimbursements—to providers and hospitals participating in value-based care models, putting the organization ahead of where it needs to be to hit its goal of spending $75 billion on such care by 2020. Dan Schumacher, president and CEO of UHG's insurance arm UnitedHealthcare, said, "We've been very successful in that migration towards a population orientation. … If you look at where that sits today, about half of our value-based spend is in the more progressive relationships that orient around population outcomes," including partnerships with ACOs. (The Daily Briefing is published by Advisory Board Research, a wholly owned subsidiary of UHG.)
- Leapfrog expands quality ratings to ASCs and HOPDs. The Leapfrog Group on Tuesday announced in 2019 it will begin rating ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs) and hospital outpatient departments on patient safety and treatment outcomes. To collect the new data, Leapfrog will create a new voluntary survey for ASCs and add a hospital outpatient surgery department component to the organization's existing Leapfrog Hospital Survey. The new ASC survey and hospital outpatient survey will evaluate medical and nursing staff, patient safety practices, surgical outcomes, and patient experience.
From Advisory Board:
- Learn key tactics for benchmarking your primary care access performance. Join us on Wednesday, October 24, at 1:00 p.m. ET to hear results from our access benchmarking survey and learn advanced tactics for strengthening access performance.
- Cybersecurity: Why the whole C-suite is accountable. Join us on Tuesday, October 30, at 3:00 p.m. ET to learn how several health systems have blazed the path for their C-suites and boards.
- State of the Union 2018: Strategy, market trends, and health policy 101. Join us on Thursday, November 8, at 1:00 p.m. ET to learn what the potential for outside disruption means for the industry, and how the current trend toward mega-mergers could impact providers.