Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital received three people who were injured in a shooting Tuesday at YouTube headquarters in San Bruno, California.
The shooter was found dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, the San Bruno Police Department said in a statement.
Around 12:45 p.m. Tuesday, police responded to reports of gunfire at the YouTube campus. Employees described a chaotic scene, according to the Washington Post. Some employees fled, while others hid.
Upon arrival, officers found one victim with an apparent gunshot wound to a lower extremity at the front of the building. Police located two additional victims with gunshot wounds at a nearby business, according to San Bruno Police Chief Ed Barberini. Police said a fourth person was injured running from the scene but was not wounded by gunfire.
Police investigate motivation
The San Bruno Police Department late Tuesday identified the attacker as Nasim Najafi Aghdam, a woman in her late 30s, but added that they are still investigating a possible motive. According to police, Aghdam during the attack appeared to have used a handgun.
Separately, Aghdam's father, Ismail, told a reporter with a CBS affiliate in Los Angeles, that his daughter had been missing for several days. He also said he warned police that his daughter "hated" YouTube and could be heading to the company's offices. According to the Wall Street Journal, Aghdam had made several social media posts critical of YouTube, alleging that YouTube had censored her videos and stopped paying for her content.
In a written statement, the San Bruno Police Department said, "At this time there is no evidence that the shooter knew the victims of this shooting or that individuals were specifically targeted."
How SF General responded
San Francisco General was alerted soon after the shooting began and waited on a precautionary lockdown when the ambulances transporting the victims arrived.
San Francisco General spokesperson Brent Andrew at a press conference Tuesday said the hospital received three victims from the shooting. He said a 36-year-old male was in critical condition, a 32-year-old female was in serious condition, and a 27-year-old female was in fair condition.
Andre Campbell, a trauma surgeon at San Francisco General, said all three victims were conscious and that none had undergone surgery. He declined to provide additional information on their injuries, noting that the condition of gunshot wound victims can change rapidly.
"When things change, they change from moment to moment," Campbell said. "So right now, we stabilize their condition."
Surgeon speaks out
In addition to providing an update on the patients, Campbell said that the YouTube shooting reflects a larger landscape of gun violence in the United States. "The reality is that last week we had a mass-casualty situation here," Campbell said. "The week before we had another. I didn't see all these cameras out here today last week when I was here." He continued, "The reality is we have to deal with this all the time. We have to deal with the families."
Campbell noted that despite the continued violence, the hospital "stand[s] ready, 24-seven to care for anyone who is injured, whether it's from gunshot wounds today, or falls or car accidents, from fights from all the other things that we do regularly here at the Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital."
In a separate interview with CNN, Campbell said he felt compelled to speak out about gun violence during the update because providers in general "kind of quietly do our job and we don't say a whole lot." But yesterday, he explained, "just seemed like it was a day where people wanted to hear what was going on."
Google, YouTube's parent company, in a statement on Twitter said it worked with authorities to evacuate the buildings and provided employees with a helpline.
In an email to employees posted to Twitter, Google CEO Sundar Pichai wrote, "I know a lot of you are in shock right now." He added, "Over the coming days, we will continue to provide support to help everyone in our Google family heal from this unimaginable tragedy" (CBS SF Bay Area, 4/3; Branson-Potts, Los Angeles Times, 4/3; Elinson et al., Wall Street Journal, 4/4; Wakabayashi et al., New York Times, 4/3; Berman, Washington Post, 4/4; Lyons/Allday, San Francisco Gate, 4/3; Simon, CNN, 4/4).