How 4 nations provide universal health care—in very different ways

Vox recently published a series that profiles how countries around the world have reformed their health systems to provide universal health care. Here's a rundown of how care is provided in Australia, the Netherlands, Taiwan, and the United Kingdom.

Read More
Advisory Board Insight

The new coronavirus is mild for about 80% of patients. But what about the other 20%?

While the World Health Organization estimates that the new coronavirus is mild for about 80% of patients, the virus so far has killed more than 2,000 people—leaving health experts trying to explain why the virus kills certain patients when tens of thousands of others survive.

Watch this woman play the violin—during her own brain surgery

When Dagmar Turner, who plays violin for the Isle of Wright Symphony Orchestra, learned she needed brain surgery to remove a tumor, doctors devised a way to help ensure the surgery wouldn't affect Turner's musical skills—by asking her to play the violin during the operation.

Weekend reads: The sugar high is a myth

Have your wedding in Hell (Hell, Michigan, that is); your love-hate relationship with office buzzwords like "circle back" and "value-add," explained; and more.

This New York Times writer just got a $145K surprise medical bill

Jennifer Finney Boylan, a professor of English at Barnard College and a contributing opinion writer for the New York Times, was told her child's hospital stay had been pre-approved and would only cost her a small co-payment—but instead, Boylan ended up with a $145,000 surprise bill.

Weekly line: This under-the-radar proposal could cut hospital Medicaid payments by $31B

Industry stakeholders are warning that CMS' proposed Medicaid Fiscal Accountability Rule could cut Medicaid payments by up to $31 billion—but CMS administrator Seema Verma in a blog post called these worries "overblown and without credibility." Daily Briefing's Ashley Fuoco Antonelli digs in to find out what you need to know about the potential reforms.

Around the nation: Oscar Health caps insulin costs at $3 per month

Individual insurance plan members will now pay $3 per month for insulin and a selection of other drugs, in today's bite-sized hospital and health industry news from California, Missouri, and New York.