- CMS seeks input on Promoting Interoperability measures. CMS is accepting proposals until June 29 for new measures to include in the Medicare Promoting Interoperability (PI) program—an overhaul of the agency's Meaningful Use program. CMS said it is seeking proposals that would further develop advanced use of certified EHR technology based on 2015 certification measures and edition standards, as well as proposals that would facilitate the exchange and interoperability of health data; boost program efficiency, efficacy, and flexibility; assess outcomes; and prioritize patient safety.
- Report: Medicaid expansion could cut uninsured patients' uncompensated care costs by $8B. Uncompensated care costs for treating uninsured patients would be cut by $8 billion if the 19 states that have not yet expanded Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act opted to do so in 2019, according to a new report from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the Urban Institute. According to the report, of that $8 billion in total estimated savings, providers would save a projected $2.8 billion. In addition, the report said Medicaid expansion next year in states that have yet to do so would cut the national uninsured rate from 12.5% to 10.5%.
- Explore new CMS dashboards on Medicare, Medicaid drug pricing—including never-before-released data. CMS last week unveiled updated drug pricing dashboards that significantly expands the amount of data available Medicare and Medicaid drug spending and list prices. According to CQ Health, CMS' update expands the original dashboards—first launched under former President Barack Obama—to include the majority of drugs covered under Medicare Part B, Medicare Part D, and Medicaid. The redesigned dashboards display the percentage change in drug spending per dosage unit from 2012 through 2016. Overall, according to the dashboards, Medicare in 2016 spent 23%—or $174 billion—of its total budget on all prescription drugs, up from 17%—or $109 billion—in 2012, among other findings.
From Advisory Board:
- Your guide to the proposed Meaningful Use overhaul. Join us on Thursday, May 31 at 3:00 p.m. ET, to learn the key points of the proposed MU overhaul and how the proposed PI programs fit into the broader CMS quality reporting landscape.
- Improve access to care for the underserved—using mobile health clinics. Join us on Wednesday, June 13 at 1:00 p.m. ET, to explore six successful programs and steps to designing a model that serves patients’ needs and organizational goals.
- How to succeed under Medicaid risk. Join us on Tuesday, August 14 at 1:00 p.m. ET for a live panel discussion with population health, health plan, and Medicaid strategy experts from within Advisory Board to learn about key considerations for taking on Medicaid risk and setting up the right infrastructure to manage the population.