- Azar rebuts Ezekiel Emanuel, says hospitals have 'specialized role' in value-based care. HHS Secretary Alex Azar in remarks at an American Hospital Association conference on Wednesday rebutted claims that hospitals are becoming obsolete, saying while they are "taking on more of a specialized role" within the industry's shift toward value-based care, they are not, "broadly defined, … growing irrelevant." Azar in his comments specifically referenced Ezekiel Emanuel's New York Times' opinion piece contending that the disappearance of hospitals is "inevitable and good." Azar said Emanuel's assessment is "incomplete," noting that while the number of hospitals has declined over the past few decades, overall spending on hospital-based care has not. Azar called on hospitals to help accelerate the shift toward value-based care, particularly by embracing price transparency initiatives.
- Survey: Most Track 1 ACOs would quit before taking on risk in 2019. The majority of ACOs slated to move to a risk-based model in 2019 say they will leave CMS' Medicare Shared Savings Program (MSSP) if the agency requires them to take on downside risk next year, according to a survey from the National Association of ACOs (NAACOS). For the survey, NAACOS questioned 82 ACOs that joined MSSP's Track 1 in 2012 or 2013 and that, therefore, are scheduled to take on two-sided risk agreements by contract periods that start in 2019. According to the survey, 76% of respondents said if CMS gave them an additional three years without taking on downside risk—changes NAACOS requested in February—they would remain in the program.
- CMS gives 213 hospitals 'five stars' for patient experience. See how yours fared on our map. CMS on April 25 updated its Hospital Compare website with new Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) summary star ratings. CMS' summary star rating scores hospitals on a one-to-five-star scale based on the 11 publicly reported measures in HCAHPS survey, which assesses patient experiences. According to CMS, 3,466 hospitals had an HCAHPS summary star rating as of April 25. Of those hospitals, 213 received five stars; 1,177 received four stars; 1,522 received three stars; 495 received two stars; and 59 received one star.
From Advisory Board:
- Transform your business model for Medicaid risk. Join us on Tuesday, May 15 at 1:00 p.m. ET, to learn how, with the increased financial flexibility of Medicaid risk, health systems can adapt their existing care management infrastructure to better manage the Medicaid population.
- Everything you need to know about the proposed IPPS rule. Join us on Tuesday, May 22 at 3:00 p.m. ET, to get the details of the FY 2019 Inpatient Prospective Payment System (IPPS) Proposed Rule, including proposed changes to rates, MS-DRG groupings, and inpatient quality initiatives.
- Your guide to the proposed Meaningful Use overhaul. Join us on Thursday, May 31 at 3:00 p.m. ET, to learn the key points of the proposed MU overhaul and how the proposed PI programs fit into the broader CMS quality reporting landscape.