The tenth installment of the Daily Briefing's Architectural Design Showcase features 18 wellness facilities, preventive medical centers, rehabilitation hospitals, and more.
Click through the slideshow to see the projects.
- The Mount Sinai Health System Center for Health & Healing was designed by Array Architects with a focus on wellness. The facility offers an integrated, preventive approach to medicine and includes a fitness center. (© 2013 Jeffrey Totaro)
- CannonDesign worked with the University of Colorado Denver to create the unique Anschutz Health & Wellness Center, a fusion facility combining fitness, health, wellness, and learning spaces. The facility even features a demonstration kitchen reflective of the center's mission to fight obesity and foster a culture of health and disease prevention. (© 2012 Timmerman Photography, Inc.)
- The Parker Adventist – Medical Office Building was designed by architects from Davis Partnership. The building houses private physicians along with hospital ancillary type spaces such as imaging, sleep, and wellness. (© 2009 Davis Partnership Architects)
- Architects from Devenney Group designed Sutter Health, Alta Bates Summit Medical Center. This 13-story acute rehab facility promotes healing and wellness through support and health classes, rooftop gardens, balance classes, rehabilitation gyms, and a training apartment for home reinstatement and outpatient treatment/therapy. (© 2014 Devenney Group Ltd., Architects)
- Designed and built by ERDMAN, LECOM Medical Fitness & Wellness Center offers day-to-day health and fitness, sports performance training, and rehabilitation. The fitness center occupies the first two floors of the three-story building with three swimming pools, aerobic and yoga fitness rooms, basketball and racquetball courts, an indoor running track, and a physical therapy facility. (© 2010 ERDMAN)
- Architects from EUA designed UW Health Partner Watertown Regional Medical Center to include a demonstration kitchen where all meals are now prepared from scratch with locally sourced ingredients in an effort to teach the community about healthy eating. (© 2014 Eppstein Uhen Architects)
- Architects from Gresham, Smith & Partners designed the Phoebe Sumter Medical Center which houses education, wellness, and orthopedics specialists. The building includes a double-height gymnasium and spaces for physical and occupational rehabilitation. (© 2011 Brian C. Robbins, Robbins Photography, Inc.)
- The My HDL Hub was designed by Odell Associates to help HDL create a health community that is patient-friendly and focuses on preventing cardiovascular disease and diabetes; combining advanced biomarker testing with private wellness counseling and a variety of lifestyle classes. (© 2014 HDL)
- Designed by architects from HKS, the Boca Raton Regional Hospital Christine E. Lynn Women’s Health and Wellness Institute will include complimentary services such as a fitness center, massage therapies, aroma therapy, and yoga as well as education programs for patients and the community. (© 2014 HKS)
- Architects from Hord Coplan Macht designed an expansion and renovation of the Center for Eating Disorders at Sheppard Pratt’s outpatient center. The facility promotes wellness through group therapy and art therapy rooms. (© 2014 Hord Coplan Macht)
- Indiana Musculoskeletal Institute Center for Orthopedic Sports Medicine was designed by architects from IKM Incorporated. The center offers group treatment spaces includes orthopedic care, physical therapy, an imaging suite with MRI, and a pain and spine center. (© 2014 IKM Incorporated)
- Jensen + Partners is planning a mixed-use wellness community adjacent to the new Barlow Respiratory Hospital that will revitalize existing historic structures into healthy living facilities. Design features pedestrian pathways, a community fitness center, community gardens, senior wellness and green, sustainable structures. (© 2011, Doug Jamieson)
- Kahler Slater partnered with Sentara RMH Medical Center to design their 16,000 SF ambulatory multi-specialty women's midlife center. The Education Center and adjoining outdoor terrace supports multi-lingual chronic disease self-management groups, cancer survivor yoga and women's health education series classes. (© 2014 Wheelock Photography)
- Architects from Perkins+Will designed the Diabetes Health and Wellness Institute at Juanita J. Craft Recreation Center to holistically treat and prevent diabetes through diagnosis, treatment, education, and physical activity. (© 2010 Charles Davis Smith, AIA)
- The NorthPointe Health & Wellness Campus designed by Plunkett Raysich Architects features a medical-based fitness center that houses an aquatic center, athletic gym, exercise gym, rehabilitation gym, health education rooms, and child care. (© 2008 Plunkett Raysich Architects, LLP)
- Architects from SmithGroupJJR designed Motion Picture & Television Fund Saban Center for Health and Wellness to integrate physical therapy and wellness in four programs: aquatic therapy, aquatic fitness, land therapy, and land fitness. (© 2007 David Wakely)
- Designed by architects from Stantec to be the premier source of health and wellness services, Virtua Health and Wellness Center in Moorestown represents an approach that is geared toward keeping people healthy and helping those who are not so healthy better manage their conditions. (© 2012 Jeffrey Totaro)
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Brooklyn Infusion Center designed by ZGF Architects, LLP features an indoor garden, a library, and a communal "farm table" area that allows patients to gather for shared activities during treatment; also included is a community space for art exhibits, cancer education and wellness promotion. (© 2010 John Bartelstone Photography; ZGF Architects)
Next in the Daily Briefing
Pennsylvania just expanded Medicaid. Who's next?