Clover Health's Medicare Advantage plans will serve seniors in six new markets starting in 2019, in today's bite-sized hospital and health industry news from California, Michigan, and Ohio.
- California: Insurer Clover Health in 2019 will launch Medicare Advantage (MA) plans in six new cities: Camden, New Jersey; Charleston, South Carolina; El Paso, Texas; Nashville; Philadelphia; and Tucson, Arizona. Clover Health currently has 30,000 MA members in parts of Georgia, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Texas (Livingston, Modern Healthcare, 8/27).
- Michigan: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan has approved a proposal to partner with Express Scripts, which beginning Jan. 1, 2019, will take over network management of about 2,400 pharmacies to Express Scripts. Blue Cross said the deal is expected to reduce administrative costs and pharmacy prices and increase flexibility for the insurer's two million members with pharmacy benefits (Greene, Modern Healthcare, 8/27).
- Ohio: The University of Cincinnati's James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy has seen minority enrollment increase to 37.5% under a partnership with the Cincinnati-based Kroger supermarket chain. The university last year hired Patricia Achoe, to serve as director of equity and inclusion—a position that is co-funded by Kroger (Brunsman, Cincinnati Business Courier, 8/27).
Join our most popular webconference series: Health Insurance 101
Back by popular demand: This webconference series includes four 30-minute online sessions which will cover the fundamental aspects of health insurance structure and delivery, updated to review the latest trends in the industry.
- Thursday, September 6: Overview of the health insurance business
- Thursday, September 13: Understand commercial insurance
- Wednesday, September 19: Understand Medicare Advantage
- Tuesday, September 25: Understand Medicaid managed care