Did you miss the Care Innovation Summit? Catch up by watching video presentations of the keynote addresses and plenary sessions.
Welcome and Opening Remarks
- Elliot Gerson, JD; Executive Vice President, The Aspen Institute
- Robert Musslewhite, JD; CEO, The Advisory Board Company
Featured Speaker: Update on CMS Innovation Activities
- Patrick Conway, MD; CMO for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Director of the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation, Director of the Center for Clinical Standards and Quality
Plenary Session: The New Health Care Market’s Impact on Innovation
The market for health care services is undergoing a rapid transformation as purchasers and consumers face new pressures and incentives. The panel will discuss the ways that innovative providers, payers, suppliers, and others are responding to this new, value-driven market, as well as opportunities for optimizing the market’s incentives.
- Peter Orszag, PhD, MSc; Vice Chairman of Corporate and Investment Banking, Citigroup
- Tom Scully, JD; General Partner, Welsh Carson Anderson & Stowe
- Moderated by: Peter Long, PhD; CEO, Blue Shield of California Foundation
Valuing New Advancements in Care
Regulators, payers, and providers discuss different perceptions of “value”; how future FDA and CMS decision making will encourage biomedical progress; how value considerations will influence the way payers, innovators, and providers measure value; how value-based payment models can reward and stimulate innovation; and the role of personalized medicine in value-based models.
- Allan Coukell; Senior Director, Drugs and Medical Devices, The Pew Charitable Trusts
- Jonathan Leff, MBA; Chairman, Deerfield Institute
- Steven D. Pearson, MD, MSc; President, Institute for Clinical and Economic Review
- Murray Sheldon, MD; Associate Director of Technology and Innovation at the Center for Devices and Radiological Health, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Moderated by: Steve Usdin; Senior Editor, BioCentury
Keynote Address from Kathleen Sebelius
Watch keynote speaker Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of Health and Human Services, deliver her remarks about the ways that innovation is transforming health care.
The Beltway and Beyond—Understanding the Intersection of Innovation and Public Policy
Legislative and regulatory efforts hold the potential to both accelerate and slow innovative new approaches to health care. Panelists in this session share perspectives on balancing interests and incentives when addressing important policy questions, as well as their expectations on how public policy decisions will impact future innovations.
- Chris Dawe; Health Policy Advisor, National Economic Council
- Steve Northrup; Principal, Podesta Group
- Ashley Ridlon; Senior Manager, Bipartisan Policy Center Advocacy Network
- Moderated by: Julie Barnes; Senior Advisor, Leavitt Partners
Delivering on Value
To truly transform care, communities and the health care industry must come together to develop effective new approaches to care delivery that protect access, minimize cost, and ensure quality. This plenary session highlights potential opportunities and lessons learned from ongoing community-based innovations that benefit both individual patients and entire populations.
- Jeffrey Brenner, MD; Director, Camden Coalition of Healthcare Providers
The Big Data Revolution: Driving Care Improvements Through Data Analysis
Technology innovation and adoption has led to dramatic increases in the number and size of data sets available for improving health care. This panel will discuss ways that “big data”-driven analyses and applications will revolutionize the health care industry’s approach to improving quality and outcomes.
- Stephan Finn, MD; Director, Office of Analytics and Business Intelligence, Department of Veterans Affairs
- Claudia Grossmann, PhD; Senior Program Officer, Institute of Medicine
- David Hanekom, MD; CMO, MDdatacor
- Will Shrank, MD; Chief Science Officer and CMO, Provider Innovation and Analytics, CVS Caremark
- Moderated by: Basit Chaudhry, MD; CEO and Founder, Tuple Health
Plenary Session: Leading the Way—Thoughts on Next Steps for the Innovators of Today and Tomorrow
- Sen. Thomas Daschle; Senior Fellow at Bipartisan Policy Center
- Sen. William Frist; Senior Fellow at Bipartisan Policy Center
- Introduction by: Walter Isaacson; CEO, The Aspen Institute
- Moderated by: Elliot Gerson, JD; Executive Vice President, The Aspen Institute
- Ruth Katz, JD, MPH; Director, Health, Medicine and Society Program, The Aspen Institute
- Chas Roades, MBA; Chief Research Officer, The Advisory Board Company