More Effective Leadership of an Evolving Staff
This is a preview of restricted content.
Full access to this content is reserved for Advisory Board members; we invite you to learn more by contacting us.
Workshop Preview Video
The imperative for leaders to understand how to lead in an environment where patients, staff, and physicians encompass diversity of age, ethnicity, national origin, religion, and socioeconomic and cultural background cannot be ignored. Among the challenges leaders face on a regular basis are leading staff both younger and older than themselves, supporting staff as they treat patients from extremely diverse backgrounds, and incorporating staff from abroad into their organization. The ability to manage diversity impacts the core functions of a leader’s role: staff recruitment and retention, staff productivity, and delivery of high-quality service.
Learning objectives for pParticipants
- Recognize the impact a diverse workforce has on day-to-day management tasks
- Improve communication techniques to minimize miscommunication
- Evaluate the benefits and pitfalls of minimizing differences and emphasizing differences
- Select appropriate diversity management strategies based on individual situations
- Discern how biases can impact behavior
- Identify personal biases and minimize their influence on actions and decision making
Course content and teaching methodology
This course incorporates classroom presentation, case studies, and individual and group exercises. The following topics are among those included in this course:
Uncovering managerial challenges
- Understanding how a diverse workforce complicates the three common managerial processes of relationship building, communication, and decision making
- Reviewing typical approaches to managing diversity
Exploring two approaches: Minimizing differences and emphasizing differences
- Understanding the benefits and pitfalls of both approaches
- Developing strategies to combat the inherent pitfalls of each approach
Overcoming the Hidden Handicap
- Recognizing the natural, universal nature of bias
- Preventing bias from influencing decision making in important managerial situations