Impact Through Influence
Improving Communications to Advance Leadership Objectives
This is a preview of restricted content.
Full access to this content is reserved for Advisory Board members; we invite you to learn more by contacting us.
Workshop Preview Video
Driving real change is not a solitary action. Long-lasting impact on department and organizational performance requires not only right solutions and the drive to implement them, but also an ability to harness the energy of others. Hospital and health system leaders, by virtue of their position and the breadth of relationships they have across the organization, are ideally positioned to translate strategy into operational excellence. However, these leaders can only be as effective as their ability to influence the medical staff, other colleagues, and administrators.
This course will explore a range of effective influence techniques and will provide participants with an understanding of how to select influence strategies that are most likely to drive behavior change and strengthen relationships, thereby improving the quality of everyday interactions and the success of longer-term initiatives. In addition, the course will help leaders understand how to broaden and strengthen their network of relationships to increase their influence over time.
Learning objectives for participants
- Recognize the drivers of effective influence and address them in different situations
- Select influence techniques most likely to be effective
- Interpret responses and respond accordingly
- Understand the current state of your personal influence network
- Plan to strengthen and expand your network
Course content and teaching methodology
This course incorporates classroom presentation, case studies, and individual and group exercises. The following topics are among those included in this course:
Exploring drivers of influence
- Understanding the impact of leaders’ power on their ability to influence
- Investigating how addressing the motivations of others enables influence
Crafting an effective influence approach
- Assessing the range of available power sources and appropriate motivational concerns in each influence situation
- Selecting effective influence techniques based on power and motivation assessment
Positioning for long-term effectiveness
- Analyzing the current state of relationships in the influence network
- Understanding implications of this network and methods of both broadening the number of relationships while strengthening each one
- Planning for future influence and recognizing the strength and breadth of the network required to support it successfully